Today, I finally developed the first four images from my 4x5 learning process. It’s safe to say that the camera works and I managed to make some images come out.
View the images:
While I was out shooting these four images over that week before Christmas, I knew very well there was a good chance something would go wrong. Not to my surprise they did come out with some issues. One was loaded in the film holder at an off angle, I didn’t load the film in the developing core properly, making the edges stick on one side, and then the developing tank had a crack in the side — which is something I usually check, but I didn’t this time because I just wanted them done.
Unfortunately, that crack did show its ugly head in the images. You can see in three of the four images an odd streak of light reappearing. I noticed the crack when I got to the fixer remover stage.
Needles to say, I am quite happy that I did in fact do something right in this new world of large format. I successfully made images. They’re sharp as a knife, they've got nice contrast, and the imperfections are almost charming.
Now, once I start shooting color large format, I need to be more careful. I cannot let things like a cracked developing tank get me, or loading the film in the core improperly. Color film is already nerve-wracking to me, but I am confident I can get it done.